How to Repair Burst Water Pipes Using Patch Kits
A ruptured water pipe can cause a lot of damage, especially if it’s ignored. The only individuals who could fix such things used to be skilled and well-equipped plumbers or highly-experienced DIY enthusiasts, but things have changed since the invention of patch kits. Anyone may now repair a burst water pipe with these low-cost solutions, as long as the pipe is not too damaged to repair and is easily accessible.
Here are the steps to follow when using patch kits to repair burst pipes:
- Determine whether the leak can be repaired using the patch kit by locating it. If the broken pipe can be reached without disassembling or removing specific fixtures and/or portions of a wall in your home, and the problem is only minor, utilize the pipe patch kit. Otherwise, contact a reputable plumbing company to resolve the issue.
- The pipe that has ruptured should be sanded. Because pipes are smooth, making the burst area tactile makes it easier to work on. Sand paper can be rubbed against the damaged surface for a few minutes or until the broken surface and certain adjacent areas have been roughened up.
- After that, take out the patch kit and unroll it. Then double-check that it can be wrapped around the broken pipe without causing any problems. At this point, do not wet the patch because a wet patch attaches to a pipe quickly.
- Put on your rubber gloves, soak the entire patch, and wrap it around the pipe once you’ve verified that you can wrap it around the pipe without difficulty. Wrap the patch around the burst area of the pipe first, then work your way outward. Make sure the pipe is wrapped tightly and extends two inches past the fractured section. Wrap back to the burst pipe, going over and two inches past in the opposite direction. Continue to follow the procedures above until you no longer have any patches to utilize.
- To ensure a firm binding between the pipe and the patch, press the patch with your hands. Then wait for the patch to dry.
Note: Wear the medical rubber gloves that included with the package while performing this task. These shield the skin from the patch’s harsh chemicals.